Building Oral Language into the Basal (Research from CREATE)
In this encore presentation co-sponsored by SchoolsMovingUp and CREATE (Center for Research on the Educational Achievement and Teaching of English Language Learners), Diane August, Senior Research Scientist at the Center for Applied Linguistics, will describe methods to develop the language proficiency skills of English Learners in the context of language arts, math, and science instruction in elementary and middle schools. Examples of methods include read-alouds of expository and narrative text and hands-on experiences to build academic language. This work is part of ongoing research funded by the US Department of Education to improve the language and literacy skills of English Learners.
Senior Research Scientist
Center for Applied Linguistics
This presentation is co-sponsored by SchoolsMovingUp and CREATE (Center for Research on the Educational Achievement and Teaching of English Language Learners). Visit the CREATE web site for rich resources including instructions on how to join the CREATE's listserv and how to receive CREATE’s newsletter.
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- Archive of 1/10 Diane August SchoolsMovingUp Webinar
- Article Chapter: "Second-Language Oral Proficiency and Second-Language Literacy."
- Chatlog for Online Event,"Building Oral Language into the Basal”
- Event Archive Directions
- MP3 Audio recording of online event, "Building Oral Language into the Basal".
- Oral Comprehension Sets the Ceiling on Reading Comprehension
- PDF of Powerpoint for online event, "Building Oral Language into the Basal."
- Powerpoint for Webinar Event: "Building Oral Language into the Basal"
- Reference List from “Development of Literacy in the Second- Language Learners,” publication.
- Unit 7 Glossary - Example
- Unit 8 Glossary Example
- Unit 9 Glossary Example
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.