Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy
Dr. Laurie Olsen, Executive Board Member of Californians Together, discusses the Seal of Biliteracy, a powerful approach to validating and encouraging mastery of two or more languages.Use the archived online slide show below with the topics by time document on the right to guide your overview.
Please click here to give us your feedback about this archive webinar.
Laurie Olsen (Primary)
Executive Board Member
Mastery of two or more languages is an important 21st century skill, with economic, social and personal benefits. Yet few young people achieve this language mastery, enrollment in world language courses is faltering, and the majority of English learners lose their home language as they develop English. The Seal of Biliteracy is a powerful approach to validating and encouraging mastery of two or more languages.
In this webinar, Dr. Laurie Olsen, Executive Board Member of Californians Together, will discuss:
- The benefits of becoming biliterate
- Approaches to recognizing the skills of biliteracy and motivating students to pursue mastery of several languages—including a Seal of Biliteracy
- The qualifications students need to meet to earn a Seal of Biliteracy
- How school districts are implementing the Seal of Biliteracy and pathway awards
- Ideas for adapting the Seal of Biliteracy for your own schools and community
See this video announcing the release of a film by Californians Together, "The Seal of Biliteracy—Celebrating Students of the 21st Century"
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- Administrative Regulation: Seal of Biliteracy
- Chat Log, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- MP3 Audio Recording, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- MP4 Video Recording, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- PDF Handout Version, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- PDF of PowerPoint Slideshow, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- Reference List, "Implementing a Seal of Biliteracy"
- Seal of Biliteracy Application
- Seal of Biliteracy Letter to Principals
- Seal of Biliteracy: Implementation
- Superintendent's Proposal to Enact a Seal of Biliteracy
"Lively and highly readable...teachers are presented as reflective practitioners, and their questions and concerns are evident throughout...many practical suggestions and examples...aimed at supporting English learners [but] equally valuable for all learners."
— Dr. Pauline Gibbons, best-selling author of Scaffolding Language, Scaffolding Learning and English Learners, Academic Literacy, and Thinking: Learning in the Challenge Zone
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.