Developing Effective Fractions Instruction for K-8
In this archive, Chris Dwyer and Clare Heidema of RMC Research Corporation shared practical tools and resources on fractions from Doing What Works's site. Their presentation also addressed the fundamental concepts underlying fractions. Use the archived online slideshow below with the topics by time document on the right to guide your overview.
Please click here to give us your feedback about this archived webinar.
Director of Dissemination (Doing What Works)
Senior Research Associate
Senior Vice President
Helping students understand fractions is of critical importance to their advancement in mathematics. In this webinar, two of the developers of the media and materials for the new Doing What Works fractions topic will give you a tour of site highlights. The site includes the most up-to-date research-based advice for educators and addresses fundamental concepts underlying the following:
- Initial Fraction Concepts
- Operations with fractions
- Use of the number line
- Ratio and proportion
Participants can interact with the presenters and each other in learning how to use the professional development media and training materials on the site. These include discussion prompts, comprehensive planning tools, and a planning tool to help support instruction with the Common Core State Standards.
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- Developing Effective Fractions Instruction for Kindergarten Through 8th Grade
- MP3 Audio Recording, "Developing Effective Fractions Instruction..."
- MP4 Media Recording , "Developing Effective Fractions Instruction..."
- Overview of DWW Site: Interview with Dr. Robert Siegler
- PDF handout version of slideshow, "Developing Effective Fractions K-8
- PDF of slideshow, Developing Effective Fractions K-8
- Planning Templates: Common Core, Districts, and More
- Reflections on Practice: Fractions as Numbers
- Topics by Time, "Developing Effective Fractions Instruction..."
- Visual Diagram of DWW Site
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.