Overview of the California English Language Arts Common Core and Literacy in the Content Areas
In this archive, Carrie Roberts and Barbara Murchison from the California Department of Education present an overview of the English Language Arts (ELA) CCSS and literacy in the content areas and share resources for implementation.
Use the archived online slideshow below.
Please click here to give us your feedback about this archived webinar.
Carrie Roberts (Primary)
Professional Learning Support Division
California Department of Education
Barbara Murchison (Primary)
Common Core Systems Implementation Office
California Department of Education
The Secondary Literacy Partnership is providing an extraordinary opportunity for secondary teachers and school teams to take advantage of a series of free webinars about transitioning to the California Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects. The series will provide strategies that educators can apply immediately in their classrooms. The series will also provide a road map for professional learning communities to begin that transition. So PLC communities are encouraged to attend the live webinars, participate in example activities, and then use the activities on site.
In the first webinar of the series, Carrie Roberts from the Professional Learning Support Division, California Department of Education (CDE) and Barbara Murchison from CDE's Executive Office will present an overview of the English Language Arts (ELA) CCSS and literacy in the content areas of history/social studies, science, and technical subjects. They will share resources and provide a short walk through of English Language Arts Appendices A, B & C (see "Downloads For Your Own Use" on the right).
Please review this presentation to learn more about this webinar and hear background on the CCSS standards in California.
For CDE's resources on the California Common Core Standards, California's implementation plan and supporting materials, please visit CDE's website.
Members of the Secondary Literacy Partnership include CDE, the Association of California School Administrators, the California Teachers Association, the Center for the Advancement of Reading at California State University, and the California Comprehensive Center at WestEd.
The other webinars in this series are as follows:
- November 7, 2012 (Archived): An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style
- December 5, 2012 (Archived): Text Complexity in Reading and Writing
- February 13, 2013: Collaborative Conversations
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- Brokers of Expertise Online Community Directions
- California's Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in the Content Areas
- CCSS Appendix A: Research Supporting Key Elements of the ELA Standards
- CCSS Appendix B: Text Exemplars and Standard Performance Tasks
- Chat Log, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
- College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards
- Common Core State Standards: Appendices
- Follow-Up Activity List, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
- MP3 Audio Recording, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
- MP4 Media Recording, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
- PDF full-page version of presentation, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
- PDF handout version of presentation, "Common Core State Standards for Secondary Teachers"
"This course tackles core science topics and the challenges of teaching those topics head-on. It delves deeply into matter at the observable and atomic levels and meets the needs of teachers from novice to expert."
Barry Kluger-Bell, physicist, science educator, and former Assistant Director of the Exploratorium Institute for Inquiry
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.