An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style!
In this archive, Robert Rosenfeld and Liz Jameyson share about measuring text complexity in different content areas, including analyzing and discussing student writing samples.
Use the archived online slideshow below to guide your overview.
Please click here to give us your feedback about this archived webinar.
Associate Director, Local Accountability Professional Series
Senior Program Associate
How can educators build shared responsibility for students' literacy development during a transition to the common core?
Join us for this webinar to learn and discuss what the common core expects of all students, and how teachers of all subjects areas can help ensure that students are truly college and career ready.
In this second webinar in the series, "Transitioning to the California Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects," you will engage in an investigation of Common Core Reading Anchor Standard 1, along with an analysis of various examples of text that exemplify both literary and informational text.
In addition, you will explore the relationship between Reading Anchor Standard 1 and Writing Anchor Standard 1, focusing on the emphasis that each places on textual evidence. Ideas will be shared regarding how to integrate reading and writing standards across the curriculum.
To get the most out of the live webinar, we encourage you to participate along with a colleague, a professional learning community (PLC), a grade level team, a department, or as an entire staff.
Registrants are invited to join an online community for follow-up discussions of ideas for implementation. Please see the "Getting Started..." document on the right for instructions on how to join.
This webinar series is presented in collaboration with the Secondary Literacy Partnership. Members of the Secondary Literacy Partnership include CDE, the Association of California School Administrators, the California Teachers Association, the Center for the Advancement of Reading at California State University, and the California Comprehensive Center at WestEd.
The other webinars in this series include:
- October 3, 2012 (Archived): Overview of the English Language Arts Common Core and Literacy in the Content Areas
- December 5, 2012 (Archived): Text Complexity in Reading and Writing
- February 13, 2013 (Archived): Collaborative Conversations
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
Jan 16 Assessment Literacy
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- "Bringing the Common Core to Life"
- Activity List, "An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style!"
- California's Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
- Common Core Standards: Integrating Local Accountability and a Comprehensive Assessment System
- Getting Started in Brokers of Expertise - Secondary Literacy Partnership Series
- MP3 Audio Recording, "An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style!"
- PDF handout version of presentation, "An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style!"
- PDF of presentation, "An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style!"
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.