Collaborative Conversations: Speaking and Listening in Secondary Classrooms
In this archive, Nancy Frey of San Diego State University highlights how teachers can utilize the CCSS Speaking and Listening Standards to inform focused, purposeful, collaborative conversations between students. She also shares an array of options for formal student presentations. This interactive webinar wraps up the common core series presented in collaboration with California's Secondary Literacy Partnership.
Use the archived online slideshow below to guide your overview.
Please click here to give us your feedback about this archived webinar.
Professor of Literacy, Educational Leadership
San Diego State University
Speaking and listening are keys to developing disciplinary knowledge and skills. This webinar will assist teachers in understanding the two major clusters in the CCSS Speaking and Listening Standards: collaborative conversations and presentations of knowledge and ideas. Highlights will include ways to facilitate more focused, purposeful, collaborative conversations between students, and methods for fostering discourse. The second half will focus on ways students can present their knowledge more formally in face-to-face and digital environments. This will tie into the Reading and Writing Webinars that are also focusing on providing evidence that supports arguments and opinions.
Archived webinars in this series include:
- October 3, 2012: Overview of the English Language Arts Common Core and Literacy in the Content Areas
- November 7, 2012: An Introduction to Reading and Writing, Common Core Style
- December 5, 2012: Text Complexity in Reading and Writing
RELATED UPCOMING WEBINARS
Jan 16 Assessment Literacy
RELATED PAST WEBINARS
Downloads For Your Own Use
- Activity Handout: Eisenhower's Message to the Troops
- Chat Log: "Collaborative Conversations: Speaking and Listening in Secondary Classrooms"
- Getting Started in Brokers of Expertise - Secondary Literacy Partnership Series
- Language Frames for Argumentation in Science
- MP3 Audio Recording, "Collaborative Conversations..."
- MP4 Media Recording, "Collaborative Conversations..."
- PDF handout version of Presentation, "Collaborative Conversations: Speaking and Listening in Secondary Classrooms"
- PDF of Presentation, "Collaborative Conversations..."
- Sound Recording Analysis Worksheet
- Topics by Time, "Collaborative Conversations..."
Let us help you make the most of your live webinar or archived webinar experience. Participation instructions, tips for small groups, and ideas for professional development are included.